George was born 25 March 1906, in Markham, Matagordia County, Texas; the fourth child of Martin Cyrus Green and Anne Cornielus Gibson.

George's father had moved into the area shortly after his marriage. However he did not stay long in any one place, first in Blessing, then to Jackson County, then back to Matagordia County in the town of Palacios, then Markham (where George was born), then back to Jackson County, where he is found on the 1910 census.

Although the Green's were farmers, George decided to take up the profession of "cowboy" early in life. It is possible that he was influenced by his cousin Arthur "Hoot" Gibson, 7 years older, who had become a cowboy. Hoot worked for the family of Shanghai Pierce, the famous cattle trail blazer. It is probable that George worked for them too. George related to his children how he would have to round up cattle who had moved into the creek bottoms, full of mesquite brush, between steep banks. He noted that is what "chaps" were invented to protect the cowboys legs as he rode through this thick brush. One of his mentors was an old black cowhand, who taught George how to herd cattle, roll cigarettes, and, most important, to play the harmonica.

George loved to play the harmonica throughout his life. Tunes such as "Old Strawberry Roan", "Turkey In The Straw", "The Streets of Laredo", "Red River Valley" and "Cattle Call" were his specialty.

He liked all things "western". His favorite author was Louis Amour, especially the books about Shanghai Pierce, the local cowboy who made good.George always wore western stetson hats, loved western style dancing, and was known to enjoy the "honky tonks".

Apparently George was not much of a scholar and dropped out without finishing high-school. However he was an avid learner of practical skills. He enjoyed hard work and working with tools.

Not much is known of his early social life. It is said that he fell deeply in love with a young lady before he was twenty years old. Perhaps this prompted him to change professions. There was not much money in being a cow hand, so he found work in the oil fields as a roughneck.

The oil drilling business sometimes requires its workers to move around a bit; so it wasn't long before George was sent to North Texas, to work the oil fields up there. About this time he acquired the nickname of "Slim", undoubtedly due to his tall slender build. He was sometimes refereed to as a "tall drink of water".

While working in the north, George received a "Dear John" letter from his sweetheart. The loss of his true love affected him deeply.

In 1927/28, George's father went to Oklahoma to work for awhile. He took his wife with him. On the way back he picked up George and they traveled back to Blessing together. On this return trip, they stopped for the evening in Hillsboro, Texas. It is uncertain whether they stayed in a hotel or private home. In any case, their host was a Robert Jamerson. George's mother, Annie, was very ill. With compassion, the Jamerson gave Annie a wrought iron bedstead with a mattress, so that she would be comfortable on the way home. The bed was placed in the truck they were driving, and Annie was in the bed. The Jamerson also had something else, a daughter, named Undyne..

Perhaps it was the "rebound" effect, or perhaps it was really love, but George quickly proposed to Undyne and the two were married 22 Sep 1928 at Hillsboro, Hill County, Texas.

The couple lived next to the Jamerson's during the first part of their marriage, on the Jamerson Farm on Prairie Paint Road, just north of Whitney (Whitney was a small town, just across the Hill/Bosque county line). Apparently George had given up oilfield work to work for his father in law on the Jamerson farm.In Oct 1929, their first child, a son whom they named George Jr., was born in Whitney, Bosque County, Texas.

At some point before 1935, George returned to the oil fields and moved his family to El Campo, Wharton County, Texas; where his daughter Hazel Evelyn was born in May 1935.

By 1941, George had changed his profession again, becoming a carpenter. He was employed in the construction of family housing at the new Corpus Christi Naval Air Station. He also had moved his family to Corpus Christi. They lived in a small house in the Meadow Park subdivision on the west side of the city.

On April 18, 1942, twin girls, Patsy and Peggy were born into the Green household. However they brought little joy to George and Dean, for their marriage was in deep trouble. They would divorce shortly after the birth. The disruption caused by the divorce forced the Greens to temporarily place their three daughters into an orphanage.

Now single, George spent a good portion of his time helping a neighbor named George Harris. Mr Harris was apparently paralyzed from the neck down, and George came by every day to shave and bathe him. Mr Harris' wife, Barbara, became quite concerned for the twin infant girls. Before they were placed in the orphanage, she would sometimes take care of them. Mr. Harris passed away in Jun 1945. George Then asked Barbara to marry him, in order to take care of the twins. Barbara, feeling a debt to George for taking care of her husband, and also feeling a compassion for the twins, accepted the proposal. They were married in Sep 1945. Since Barbara's first husband was also named George, she would call George Green simply "Green" for the rest of her life.

Child custody disputes occupied much of George's life during the next several years. There were many court hearings, some of which were quite heated. Since George Jr. and Hazel were older, they could make decisions on their own, so the squabbles centered on the twins. Generally George kept custody, but in the end Barbara Green, the step mother, was given total custody, with Undyne denied any visitation rights.

Perhaps because of the court battles and sides taken by their neighborhood in Meadow Park, George and Barbara moved to a new home on Old Robstown Road in 1947. Moving in next to them was Barbara's son, Johnny, and his wife.

In 1952 they moved again, to a two bedroom house on Kepne St. just off Navigation Boulevard. The house was purchased by Barbara from the sale of the Old Robstown Road house, which had been purchased from her inheritance from George Harris. George, for awhile, was in the contracting bushiness; building homes in the rapidly expanding south Corpus Christi area.

In 1954 they moved outside the city limits. Their new home was a double lot, of a half acre per lot, on McCain Dr. Only one lot had a house and it was small and in not good shape. George put his carpenter skills to work and, within a few years, built a new home on the other lot. The old house was then torn down and another, rental home, was built to replace it.

That year a pair of elderly Latter Day Saints missionaries, Bro. and Sis. William Coats Tanner, knocked on the Green door. Barbara always felt the girls needed a church. She was partial to the LDS because her first husband, George Harris, was friendly to them and, in the last days of his life, wanted to be baptized into the LDS Church. However the doctors were against it, stating he was to weak. George, Barbara, and the twins were baptized into the Church on 29 Jan 1955. George would remain a member of the LDS First Ward in Corpus Christi for the rest of his life, though became inactive within a few years of joining. This was due, in part, to a dispute with local church leaders. It seems that they asked George, during a period of unemployment, to put his carpentry skills to use and construct an addition to the meeting house. He thought he was going to be paid for his labor, the local leaders thought he was a volunteer. They refused to pay him anything for his work.

In 1958 George was diagnosed with appendicitis by his doctor (Dr. Ghormley, who would shortly become President of the Corpus Christi Stake of the LDS church. Dr. Ghormley performed the operation, which was done just in time to save his life, for the appendix was very swollen and ready to burst. Work had been scarce for George before his illness and he had no money or insurance to pay the bill. A friend, Mr. Jones, who owned the Woodson Lumber Company, put up the money saying George could work out the debt in his employ. George would then have a job after the debt was paid. George worked for Mr. Jones for many years.

George loved to fish during this time. His favorite fishing places were on the far northwest end of the Corpus Christi Turning Basin, or on the Nueces Bay, near where the Nueces River emptied into the bay, or on the Nueces River itself at the Calallen spillway.

On Dec 31, 1962, Patsy, one of the twins, married Robert Travis Evans of Corpus Christi. The other twin, Peggy, would marry Newton Eugene Stokes, on 6 Jun 1965.

In 1971 Hurricane Cecilia paid a visit to Corpus Christi. The eye of this category three storm passed directly over George and Barbara's home. Maybe George's skill as a carpenter paid off as the only damage to the house was a few shingles blown away and the hen house in the back yard disappeared. It should be noted that much more expensive brick veneer homes just a mile or so away were totally destroyed, as well as a number of homes in the Green's neighborhood. However they were without water for several days, and electricity for weeks; during which they suffered greatly; especially Barbara who stepped on a rusty nail that penetrated through her foot and became infected.

1973 was the year that Barbara began showing signs of Alzheimer's disease. Not a whole lot was known about this condition then and the doctors said her dementia was associated with senility due to aging. She soon lost memory of her marriage to George Green, becoming confused as to where her first husband, George Harris, had gone.

The year of 1976 was the year of hell for George. Barbara's condition had become so serious, he had to handcuff her to himself at night so that he could get some sleep without fear that she would get up and wander off. Then, in the summer, he was diagnoses with a large aneurysm of the aorta. The artery was ready to burst. Had it done so, he would have died within two or three minutes, even if he was in the hospital. Surgery corrected the condition but he was unable to look after Barbara while he was recovering. George reached a very hard decision and placed his wife in a nursing home.

Barbara would pass away 29 Jan 1977.

During Barbara's stay at the nursing home, George became acquainted with a widow named Thelma Bailey, who brought him companionship and comfort during those trying days. They married 13 Sep 1977 and he moved into her trailer house.

Life grew no easier for George during his third marriage. Thelma still had minor children and limited income. This forced George to come out of retirement and resume his work as a carpenter.On 22 Oct 1979 he left Corpus Christi for a job on a ranch in Pawnee, Bee County, Texas. That morning he stopped on his way to visit briefly with his daughter Patsy. The visit was pleasant and they exchanged their regards for one another. After a days work, George retired to his cabin. The next morning he was found dead in his bed. The Coroner ruled it a heart failure, though no autopsy was perform.